Thursday, October 18, 2012

Disappointment

Remember how excited I was to have a visit from Mom?  That hasn't happened yet. :(  Friday was such a long day.  I worked from 8:00-4:30 (which means I was gone from 7:00-5:30) and went immediately to the tea room to waitress for art after hours until 8:30 (which ended up being 9:30).  All in all, I was doing job stuff from 7:00-9:30 - 14.5 hours.  I was utterly exhausted, but I drove home really quick to change clothes and make the bed before driving back to Raleigh to pick up Mom from the airport.  Of course this happened to be a day where I accidentally left my phone at home - the day where I was gone for 14.5 hours.  When I got home I checked my phone and saw a text from Mom saying here flight was cancelled.  I kind of thought she was trying to be funny.  I gave her a call and she wasn't kidding.  Her flight was cancelled because of fog.  You would think that in 2012 plans and airports would be sophisticated enough to handle big time fog.  Of course I'm glad they didn't fly and take the risk of being injured, but it was still incredibly disappointing.  Needless to say, I began to cry and cry and cry.  Giant tears running down my face onto the bed.  I know it sounds dramatic, but living here has been so difficult.  Nothing has come easily.  The list of icky things just seems to multiply.  Now add "Not being able to see my Mommy" to the list.

She rescheduled her flight for this coming weekend, but she isn't able to stay quite as long.  Her flight gets in Friday night at 11:30, and she heads back home Monday morning at 8:30.  Two days just isn't enough.  All I want to do is see my mom.  Why does everything have to be so difficult?

I am so very thankful for my dear friend Katie.  And for my loving husband.  Sweet husband went and told Katie right away that Mom could come.  Robert came back with a handwritten invitation from Katie requesting my presence for a date on Saturday from 12:00-5:00 while our husbands work.  She ended it with "RSVP Immediately.  You must say Yes."  Of course this made me cry even more.  I don't deserve such a loving husband and thoughtful friends.  God met my need for compassion and friendship. 

So on Saturday, Katie and I had our girls' day out.  It was perfect!  The boys both had to work so it was infinitely better than being at home by myself thinking about how I wasn't hanging with my mom.  We went to Smithfield's BBQ, Good Will (Katie snagged some Christmas decor), grocery shopping (because it's so much more fun together), and a walk.  Katie is the perfect shopping partner.  She didn't complain while I took 10 minutes to pick out moisturizer.  We helped each other find stuff in the store.  We didn't feel rushed.  And even though I know having a friend to go grocery shopping with doesn't seem like a miracle, but at that moment it was such a gift from God.  We ended up the day with a 4 mile walk to say hi to the boys at work.  It was absolutely perfect.  It definitely wasn't how I had planned the day, but it was absolutely delightful.

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweet Amy! I cried every day of the first year of marriage. :) It's a tough transition but God is definitely at work in your precious lives! Hang in there. I love you! Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Amy - It is definitely hard to live so far away from home while trying to settle in to a new phase of life. It's understandable to go through dramatic ups and downs. I'm glad you have good friends out there to lean on. Enjoy your time with your mom this weekend, and remember that every down day is an opportunity to find a new well of strength. God Bless! -Jonna

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...