Monday, July 1, 2013

First Annual Girls Weekend

This weekend I got to spend a few days in San Antonio with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.  We had such a great time!  I left work a bit early on Friday (which is never a bad thing!) and headed to the airport.  I don't love traveling by myself but it wasn't too bad.  All four of my flights for the trip were delayed.  How does that always happen to me?  Anyway, I made it to San Antonio just fine and Serina and Bethany were there to greet me.  We checked into our lovely hotel - The Marriott on the Riverwalk and then got a late dinner at Casa Rio.  The food was tasty, but the service was lacking.  Regardless, it was neat to eat at the oldest restaurant on the Riverwalk and people watch while dining outside.

The view from our hotel



On Saturday morning we started out with breakfast at the hotel and then headed out to go to the top of the Tower of the Americas.  We got to go up to the observation deck on the 40th floor which was pretty cool.  Next we took a boat tour of the Riverwalk.  This helped us pick out a few places that we wanted to visit.  We hit up La Villita which is a little area with a bunch of shops with local arts and crafts - very cute.

On the boat tour


The view from La Villita


We dined at The Republic of Texas for lunch, and I enjoyed some tasty BBQ.  Robert and I are not fans of North Carolina BBQ, so I wanted to take advantage of some good BBQ while I could.  After lunch we went to the Harley Davidson store so Bethany could buy Jason a present, and then we made sure not to miss Ben and Jerry's next door!  We went back to the hotel and enjoyed some resting and time at the pool.  There was a youth convention with 25,000 kids in town for the weekend, but luckily the pool wasn't packed and we really didn't notice them a ton while in San Antonio.

We attempted to go see The Heat but it was all sold out so we went to The Market Square.  I remembered going here and enjoying it when my family and I went to San Antonio when I was in high school.  We went to a restaurant I recommended - La Margarita and it did not disappoint.  We followed that up with more ice cream!  This time it was from Marble Slab Creamery.  We went back to the hotel and watched The Call on demand.  I enjoyed it and would recommend it.





Queso fresco with picco de gallo mixed in!

Sour cream enchiladas
 
Sunday morning we had breakfast at Zocca and it was delicious.  We got caught in the rain, but it wasn't too bad.  It was a nice reprieve from the 106 degree heat from the day before!  We took advantage of cable a bit more by watching HGTV (Bethany and I don't have cable), and then headed off to the airport.

Robert was there waiting for me when I got back to RDU.  It was a great weekend - lots of tasty food, catching up, and adventures.  Can't wait for the next girls weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...