Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What I've Done - Carpet powder and air filter freshener

We live the woods of town.  We live just inside the city limits, and our apartment backs up to a wooded area - ton of trees, bugs, lizards, the list goes on.  I've talked to the people upstairs and they said they don't have any trouble with bugs.  I think that's because they all live downstairs.  We keep our apartment clean.  We wash the dishes.  We take out the trash.  We keep the windows and doors closed.  I guess it's just part of it.  Anyway, I'm willing to try just about anything to keep away the bugs.  I read about sprinkling baking soda on your carpet, letting it sit for 15 minutes, and vacuuming it up as a way to keep the bugs away.  I tried it a few weeks ago and I think it might be helping.  I'll keep you posted!

Did I tell you about the day that we had a lizard in our apartment?  It scared me so much.  I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden I saw a slimy, black tail sticking out from our vertical blinds on our sliding glass door.  I screamed and ran to the bedroom.  Robert checked it out.  It was a 7 inch long salamander thing.  He shooed it out with a fly swatter.  Apparently if you only close the glass door without closing the screen door as well then 7 inch salamanders can get in.  Who knew?  The screen door has been closed since then.

I'm also always looking for ways to freshen up the place.  I read about sprinkling a few drops of essential oils on your air filter to make things smell nice.  I sprinkled some lavender oil on ours.  It smelled nice but only last a couple of days.  Overall consensus - not worth the hassle.

How do you keep pests away and keep your place smelling great?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...