Sunday, March 29, 2015

Weeks 18-22

18 Weeks (Sunday, March 1)
Size of baby: A sweet potato, 5.6 inches, 6.7 ounces

19 Weeks (Sunday, March 8)
Size of baby: A mango, 6.0 inches, 8.5 ounces

20 Weeks (Sunday, March 15)
Size of baby: A banana, 6.5 inches, 10.2 ounces

21 Weeks (Sunday, March 22)
Size of baby: A pomegranate, 10.5 inches, 12.7 ounces

22 Weeks (Sunday, March 29)
Size of baby: A papaya, 11.8 inches, 15.8 ounces

Baby has developed all five sense: taste, sight, smell, touch, and hearing.  Baby has started manufacturing meconium (gross/cool).  Baby sleeps about 12-14 hours a day.

I felt baby girl kick for the first time on March 17.  We had gone to Jim's intramural basketball game and got home a little bit late.  Shortly after that we headed for bed, and as I was laying there I felt a few strange twitches in my stomach.  I wasn't 100% sure what it was, and I knew Robert had already fallen asleep so I didn't wake him up.  The next morning I googled "twitching muscle spasm in stomach while pregnant."  Novice mom, huh?  Sure enough, there were about a million articles and forums saying that when baby first starts doing noticeable kicks it feels like a muscle spasm or twitch you might have in your leg or something.  My obgyn had said baby's kicks would feel like a butterfly in my stomach.  I don't know about that.  I'm still going with twitch/spasm.  Anyway, ever since then I've noticed that if I'm sitting still or laying down I am bound to feel baby girl moving around.  On Wednesday I called Robert at work at told him I had officially felt baby moving.  When he came home for lunch he was able to feel her, too.  So cool!  Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to feel her since then, but I definitely have.  I'll call him over to feel, but then she stops.  She's an ornery thing!  People keep saying, "Just wait til she's bigger.  The kicking won't be so cute then."  Maybe so, but for now it's a nice reminder that she's still doing her thing and making progress toward making her grand entry into this world.  It's crazy to think that she still doesn't even weigh 1 pound even though we're a couple of weeks past the halfway mark.

Personally, I feel like I'm showing, but I'm definitely not to the point where strangers say anything like, "So when are you due?  Boy or girl?"  If I wear a t-shirt it just looks like I have a pudgy stomach, but if I wear a maternity shirt (I have a couple now) it looks more pronounced.

I've been feeling really good the last week or so.  After the nausea wrapped up around week 13, I still struggled with pretty bad dizziness, but it finally subsided around week 21.  I'm really hoping it's gone forever.  My doctor wasn't concerned about it which is good, but it's still just super annoying.  I guess when you're pregnant your blood supply increases by about 40-50%, and your blood vessels can't always adjust and keep up which leads to dizziness and the feeling of being lightheaded.  As far as blood flow goes, I'm rocking those compression hose whenever I'm out of the house, and dang are they hot.  Imagine wearing Long Johns under your jeans even though it's 70 degrees outside.  That's pretty much what it feels like.

22 weeks down.  18 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...