Monday, May 18, 2015

The Seventh Appointment

We had our seventh prenatal appointment on Friday (28w5d).  Things are still going well!  It was a boring appointment where they just did the standard vitals, measuring, and a quick chat with the doctor.  The nurse taught me how to press on my stomach to tell how baby V is positioned and to identify body parts (head, butt, hands, and feet).  At the appointment her head was over on my right, and her legs and arms were stretched out toward my left side.  Her heart rate was faster than last time at 150 bpm.  I always go to the doctor and say something like, "I know this is probably completely normal, but..."  This week's was, "I know this is probably completely normal, but I've started getting so unbelievably hot, and it's especially bad at night."  Yep, normal.  She said pretty much all you can do is drink some water, and that it'll be even worse while breastfeeding.  Yay!  It doesn't help that I'm already hot natured to begin with.  Our friends JJ and Rachel are letting us borrow a window unit to use in our bedroom.  We have central heating and cooling, but it stays about 5-6 degrees warmer upstairs, and I'd been waking up sweating with a headache and just not sleeping that well.  The window unit has helped so much!  Other than that, I've started waking up throughout the night to go to the bathroom once or twice.  I think part of that is because I've gotten thirstier and tend to drink a lot of water right before I go to bed which really doesn't help things.

Other than that, we talked about pain management options during labor and delivery.  I really want to try to do it without an epidural.  Honestly, it's been pretty frustrating how discouraging people are when I say that's my goal.  I'm not saying I'm ruling it out 100%, but I also feel like God created women for childbirth and my body can handle it.  That makes sense, right?  I guess I've just been hearing all of these horror stories like, "Yeah, I wanted to have a natural birth and after 48 hours of labor I had a c-section"  Or, "Good luck with that!"  I feel like I've also heard the other extremes.  You know, like delivering 15 minutes after getting to the hospital and not even having time for the option of an epidural.  Where are the stories of an 8 hour labor that was painful but survivable?

At this point I'm not scheduled to have any additional ultrasounds or tests other than the Group B Strep test during the last couple of weeks of pregnancy, so most of the appointments will be fairly routine.  We're excited to take a couple of pregnancy and newborn classes in June!  We're also excited to celebrate baby V with two baby showers this month.  We'll be taking a trip to Alabama in about a week to visit Robert's dad's side of the family and to have a family BBQ/shower, and the day after we get back from that we'll have a hometown shower with all of my lifelong friends and family friends.  I can't wait for baby to meet all of these friends and family members!

1 comment:

  1. Don't be discouraged! You can have an unmedicated child birth. Women have done it for years and still do today. I would say, PREPARE! I was open to an unmedicated birth but didn't get supremely dedicated, research, or practice any techniques. I ended up with an epidural. I was fine with that, I wasn't disappointed in myself. In my case, it was fairly necessary since my blood pressure got really high. The hospital was worried about me cooking the baby or stroking out on the table. NBD. ;)
    Anyway, my point is: No matter what happens, even if your birth story doesn't go according to your plan, be proud of yourself. Even with an epidural, it hurts. Even with a C section, you are still amazing! I hate when moms feel like they have failed and are disappointed in themselves for a deviation in plan. At the end of the day, holding your baby, know that you are a champion and are a rock star!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...