Friday, March 31, 2017

Sarah Approved Food

Sarah has put my culinary skills to the test.  She loves something one week and won't even take a bite of it the next week.  I've definitely discovered a few things with her that have held true since the beginning - She hates bell peppers and onions (even when cooked down), she likes chicken and ham the best and calls all meat chicken, you can disguise a lot of healthy things when they're in a smoothie, and when she's hungry she will eat.

I have mom friends whose kids won't eat smoothies, but if your child does like smoothies this is a great way to sneak in vegetables.  A typical smoothie for Sarah has milk, plain yogurt, spinach, pumpkin, a banana and random fruit (strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, fresh squeezed orange juice).

I know it's really great to try new foods when your kids are little, but I also think it's okay to stick to things they like when they are healthy foods.  Sarah loves broccoli and carrots, and it's okay to have those a couple of times a week.  I don't naturally gravitate toward fish, but since Robert loves it, and I know it's really healthy I've been trying to serve it a few times a month.  I recently discovered a real winner that uses broccoli, carrots, and salmon, and then I served it with wild rice.  Sarah approved of all of it and asked for more.  Honey Teriyaki Salmon and Veggies in Foil was a hit with all of us.  We subbed a few things:

  • White vinegar instead of rice vinegar
  • Ground ginger instead of minced ginger (and used less of it)
  • Vegetable oil instead of sesame oil
I've also discovered that Sarah loves soup!  She likes eating from spoons and slurping up the broth at the end.  This is a good way to incorporate meat, beans, and veggies.

All three of us are big fans of Aldi's Never Any line.  They make really delicious breakfast sausage and chicken sausages. These are precooked so they're fast to grill up in a skillet, and there aren't any nasty hormones, fillers, or by-products.

My last random thought - Sarah has been having days where it feels like she's not eating much at all. Her pediatrician told me to look at a week at a time, not just every separate meal. When I do that, I realize she is eating a variety of things. She's also growing and adding inches and ounces, so she must be getting enough food. I think it's hard to transition from the newborn phase where your baby gains 15 pounds in a year to the toddler phase where your child only gains a few pounds a year. It's hard for me to change my mindset at least. 

What are some of your favorite tried and true toddler foods?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...