Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

Robert and I rang in the new year with a few of our dear friends.  We've gone to Elise's house the past few years, but she was out of town this year.  We celebrated by going to Michael's house and playing Scattergories Categories.  The new year doesn't usually mean a ton to me.  I'm not much of a new year's resolution gal, but this new year represents the start of many changes and new experiences.  This year I will complete grad school, Robert will complete his undergrad degree, I will get married, I will move 1,000 miles away, I will live with a man for the first time ever, I will have my first apartment, I will start my first adult job, and I'm sure there will be plenty of other firsts and new experiences.  It's exciting and scary.  Sometimes I want it to come faster.  Other times I try not to think about all the changes that will be rocking my world in the coming weeks.  I have to remind myself that these changes and new experiences are all happy, good things.  It's exciting!  But it's my natural inclination to allow my thoughts to churn and think too much about the future. 

Here's an updated version of "the list" -
  1. August 22 - Drury starts, 4 days til... DONE
  2. August 26 - Mom's birthday, 8 days til...DONE
  3. September 3 - Bethany gets married, 2 days til... JUST 4 MORE DAYS
  4. September 5 - Dad's birthday AND Labor Day, 3 days til...
  5. September 8 - My birthday, 34 days til...
  6. October 12 - Organizational Communication ends, 2 days til...
  7. October 14-23 - Fall break, 1 day til...
  8. October 24 - Organizational Change starts, 6 days til...
  9. October 30 - Saints game in St. Louis, 1 day til...
  10. October 31 - Halloween, 22 days til...
  11. November 22-26 - Alabama for Thanksgiving break, 18 days til...
  12. December 14 - Organizational Change ends, 1 day til...
  13. December 15 - Public Relations ends, 3 days til...
  14. December 18-December 23 - Pennsylvania trip, 2 days til...
  15. December 25 - Christmas, 8 days til...
  16. January 2- Winter project begins, 15 days til...
  17. January 17 - Spring semester starts, 10 days til...
  18. January 27- Winter project ends, 49 days til...
  19. May 16-26 - Spring break, 11 days til...
  20. April 6 - Good Friday off, 1 day til...
  21. April 7 - Jim's birthday, 1 day til...
  22. April 8 - Easter, 29 days til...
  23. May 7-12 - Finals, 3 days til...
  24. May 10 - Graduation rehearsal, 1 day til...
  25. May 11 - School ends, 1 day til...
  26. May 12 - My graduation, 7 days til...
  27. May 19 - Robert's graduation, 1 day til...
  28. May 20 - Our wedding!
My holiday break is officially over.  For the next three weeks all be working on a service project for my grad program.  In the accelerated program we need a "project" in order to make up for the fact that we only take 30 hours instead of the normal 33 hours.  33 hours simply cannot be completed in 11 months.  To satisfy that requirement we are doing a service project for 0 credit hours.  We're teaming up with Ozarks Food Harvest in Springfield.  My three organizational leadership and change cohorts and I will be conducting a communication audit and analysis.  My integrated marketing cohorts will be working for OFH in various ways as well.  The spring semester officially starts January 23.  I can't believe I'm just four months away from graduating.  It's incredible that I started this journey seven months ago.  So much has happened since then.

Robert had surgery today.  Approximately two years ago he injured his left knee playing ultimate frisbee on the forum.  He was able to endure the pain as it only flared up every once in awhile.  However, since the start of the school year the pain has been rather debilitating.  He went to his primary care physician, and the doctor said from looking at Robert's knee he thought it was a frayed lateral collateral.  He referred Robert to an orthopedic surgeon.  The surgeon agreed with the physicians assessment.  The surgery was here in town this morning.  Both of Robert's parents were able to come down which was very nice.  The surgery took about 45 minutes.  Then we had to recovery for a bit.  I'd say we were there a totaly of two and a half hours.  We got to come home with some pretty sweet pictures of the inside of Robert's leg.  It turned out to be a frayed lateral collateral/frayed meniscus.  He also had bursitis.  The doctor removed some fluid which should help with the pain and inflammation the bursitis was causing.  We have him all set up with medicine, food, ice packs, and pillows.  He seems to be doing very well currently.  He should be back to normal pretty soon!

We're planning to visit Robert's parents, sister, brother-in-law, and daughter this weekend.  We'll celebrate Christmas together and go to Ray's new church's grand opening.  Robert needs to heal quickly so he can cheer on the Saints with his family on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...