Sunday, December 24, 2017

2017 Books

I really wanted to step up my reading in 2017, and I did it!  I didn't have a set number of books that I wanted to try to read, but I just felt like I was wasting too much of my free time watching TV or playing on my phone, and I wanted to use some of that free time in a different way.  I checked out almost all of these books from our local library.  In the past I had been intimidated walking into the library and just walking around looking for a good book.  I don't know a lot of authors' names so I never really knew where to start, and you definitely can't stroll through a library when you have a toddler with you.  So I look through a variety of lists online like "Christian books for moms" sort of a thing on Pinterest, and then added books to my request list through the library's website.  This is very convenient because I get an email when the book is ready for me, and then I just pick it up at the drive-thru window without having to get out of my car with Sarah.  Anyway, I'm not going to take the time to write a summary of all of these books, but I did want to share them with you because almost all of them were winners in my opinion.  Most of them have to do with being a mom, because, well, that's my full-time job.  Enjoy, and let me know if you end up reading any of them!

1. I'm currently watching Glee for the second time and have read a couple of the authors' books.  This is skimmable, but I also enjoyed learning a bit more about one of the actresses, Naya Rivera.


2. Say Goodbye to Survival Mode


3.  I can't say that I agree with all of Jen's political and religious perspectives, but I didn't feel like that distracted from this book.  She's such a captivating author because you really do feel like she's just sitting next to you talking.


4.  Definitely one of my favorites this year.  It gave me a good perspective on raising Sarah to be grateful by teaching her to be a contributing member of our household and family.


5.  If you enjoy Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World, then give Kristen Welch's other book a try, too!


6. I love Gilmore Girls, and I love Lauren Graham.  If you do too, why haven't you read this book yet?


7. Again, a book by a Glee actress.  Skimmable. :)


8. Unseen - Encouragement for fellow stay at home mommies


9.  One of my faves!  Read this one for sure!  It'll have you laughing and nodding your head in agreement through the whole book.
 

10 and 11. I want to become friends with Sally Clarkson.  Is it okay to feel like we are friends now?  She's an inspiration, and I always love reading from moms who have made it through to the "other side" and lived to tell about it.
 

12-16.  Can you tell that we're doing our first Whole30 this month?  More on that at the end of the month, but I'd strongly recommend reading these books and not just trusting Pinterest if you're wanting to do a Whole30.
 

17. Daring Greatly - Skimmable but challenges you to go for it and have big dreams


18. I read a few books on essentialism and organization this summer, and they inspired our yard sale in September.
 

19. Obviously a must-read if you like Fixer Upper or Chip and JoAnna in general!


20. More yard sale inspiration :)


21. Who doesn't need to extend some more grace to their kids?


22. I'll be honest, I don't think I finished this one.  I just couldn't get into it.


23.  This was a unique one as it was co-authored and each chapter included both authors' perspectives on a topic - a younger mom and her mentor, Sally Clarkson.  I enjoyed it!


24. I like to read financial advice from time to time just to remind myself of our financial goals and why we want to make wise financial decisions.
 

25. Another book about dreaming big and prioritizing


26. Present Over Perfect
 

27. Who hasn't felt uninvited?  Whether it's not being on the in-crowd with other cool stay at home moms, not feeling like you fit in with your old childhood/hometown friends, not being asked to be part of a group, or whatever.  Your self-worth isn't based on those things.


28. Making the most of my time
 

29. Finding Grace


30. I really liked this one!  Good daily, practical examples and tactics.
 

31-34. I got on a Ruth Soukup jag. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...