Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Happy birthday to me!

I had such a great birthday on Sunday!  My parents had been in town last weekend which was a wonderful birthday present.  Robert did an awesome job of finishing all of his homework for the weekend by the time I got home on Friday.  That was a huge present because it meant we could have fun all weekend without him having needing to study at all.

On Saturday we went to The Olde English Tea Room for lunch.  It was delicious, per usual.  They have their shopped open downstairs.  Right now they are working on clearing out the inventory from the previous owner so everything is 25% off.  Once those items are gone they will restock the store with new inventory starting in October.  We will definitely have to go back once that happens.

Next we went over to The Giving Tree.  This is seriously one of the coolest stores.  It's a thrift store, but all of the profits go to Wake county schools.  It's an old house that they've turned into a store.  It's very clean and well-organized.  We ended up purchasing two games that were still in their original wrapper, and they were only $1 each.  We will definitely be going back.

We rounded out the day by getting all caught up on Grey's Anatomy.  I never thought I'd live to see the day that Robert would watch this show with me, but this summer he watched the entire series with me and loved it!  Now we're ready for the season premier this month.  After that, I got to take a nap while Robert cleaned the kitchen and made homemade pizza.  Yum!

Our church started a new budgetary year on September 1, and we started a new three year initiative on September 8 - I like to think of that as my birthday party.  So on the 7th we had a 24 hour prayer vigil.  Sunday School classes signed up for one hour time slots, and our class got 9:00-10:00pm.  I can't say that I've prayed for an hour straight many times, but it was a cool experience.  We had printouts of very specific prayers.  Praying specific prayers is something Pastor has been teaching us lately.  You can tell God your specific prayers.  "God, we want to see 100 people baptized this year," instead of "God, let a lot of people get baptized."  I believe that God hears both prayers, but it's definitely a different way to think about prayer.  We finished up the experience by partaking in the Lord's Supper.

On Sunday morning I woke up and Robert was already at church, but I found a very thoughtful note from Robert awaiting me.  I got all fancied up and was ready to go when Robert came back to pick me up.  Right when we got to Faith I saw Andrea, our Sunday School teacher.  She was waiting for me with a birthday card and a huge hug.  We haven't known her and her husband for long, but I can seriously say they are some of the most loving people I've ever met.  They make me feel so special and cared for.  They are great listeners and truly love us.  Andrea had asked Robert what kind of treat I wanted for Sunday School.  Robert said anything with chocolate chips - he knows me well.  So chocolate chip muffins were our treat for the day - delicious!  I had a few other people tell me happy birthday as I walked into the sanctuary.  So sweet!  It's really crazy to think about how many people we've met and become friends with since my last birthday.  Last year I'm pretty sure the only person who acknowledge my birthday in North Carolina was Robert.  When I got to Sunday School Robert had some gorgeous flowers with a note set up for me and the class sang happy birthday to me.  We had a Sunday School Social after class.  It was awesome!  The food was delicious, the children were adorable, we watched football, and they sang happy birthday to me again.  Andrea had made a delicious dessert - brownies with chocolate chip cookies baked on top.  So awesome!





When Robert and I got home we opened presents.  Robert got me a bunt pan, my parents got me a cover for our Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (they had already taken me on a shopping spree last weekend), and Serina got me a super cool coloring book.  She took 40 or so of our favorite pictures and turned them into coloring pages.  How cool is that?  Then I talked on the phone with Mom and Dad, Serina, Bethany, Ray, Grandma and Grandpa, Jim, and Facetimed with Memaw and Pepaw.  I also got countless birthday texts and Facebook messages.  Then we took another nap.  No birthday is complete without a nap, if you ask me.  Robert made dinner and then we have five friends over for dessert and Wii games.  One couple got me the book Love Does.  I've read two chapters so far, and it's really good!




On Monday I got a couple more cards, some birthday money, and I coworker brought me a cupcake so I got to keep the celebration going! 



So I'm 23 now.  In my mind I'm still thinking I'm 22, but it'll catch up with me eventually.  I've just been reflecting on when I started high school.  That was almost a decade ago.  9 years.  It's incredible to think about how much happens in a decade...a year...a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...