Friday, December 5, 2014

Grandparents

God has blessed me with four wonderful grandparents who have created a lasting legacy for their family.  My family has a phrase for when we’re just thinking about somebody and how much we love him or her.  It’s called a “love bubble.”  Today, I had a love bubble for my grandparents, and I wanted to take a minute to type out some things that I like about them. 

Grandma
Grandma is a world-class cook and baker.  When you walk into her home you are guaranteed to be welcomed by some beautiful, delicious smelling food.  I think it’s just a tangible way to show she cares.  She’s willing to put time and energy into making an incredible meal that you won’t forget, and while you’re eating at her dinner table you’re bound to hear some great stories and share many laughs. Grandma can’t be beat when it comes to Scrabble.  When I was little she and I would team up together.  I’m afraid I’m too old for that now, and I’m also afraid I’ve never won in a game at their house since then.  Grandma helped nurture my love for reading.  The summer of 2009 I stayed a few extra weeks in Pennsylvania after my parents and brother left, and she introduced me to a series that she enjoyed.  I have such good memories of sitting out on their wraparound porch and reading those books in the evening.  Grandma is a faithful servant of the Lord.  She is long-suffering, doesn’t complain, and believes the Lord has always been faithful.  She is a prayer warrior and always speaks words of love and encouragement when we have phone calls together.  That being said, she also knows how to put Grandpa in his place!



Grandpa
Grandpa knows how to make anyone laugh.  Whether it’s with a backhanded comment, some funny saying, a sound effect or whistle, or just with a dramatic action, you’ll be laughing within about 30 seconds of being with him.  In my opinion, that’s always a good quality. Grandpa is one of the hardest workers I know whether it’s shoveling snow for the church, helping out a neighbor, keeping his house in tip top shape, or serving our country – when there’s a job to be done he does it.  Grandpa is another faithful servant of the Lord.  For decades Grandma and he have driven more than half an hour to get to church every week.  He has taught Sunday School, been a deacon, and served in many capacities for years.  When he walks into church you can tell everyone knows him and is glad he’s there. He is an excellent example of Christ’s love, and you can see it in the way that he has taken care of and loved Grandma faithfully for over 50 years. 

Memaw
Memaw is another world-class cook and baker.  I have great memories of putting on an apron and  baking bread together, watching it rise, and always making my own miniature loaf.  Memaw and I share a love for writing.  Memaw taught me how to garden.  I’m sure I probably slowed her down at times, but she always had my own garden shoes, gloves, and spade waiting for me.  I was her faithful weed puller, bird bath cleaner, bird feeder, and gumball picker upper.  And who can forget our various sewing adventures?  Memaw and I are both altos and enjoy harmonizing.  She also helped me know the importance of keeping a tidy home and how to be a good hostess.  She has the best toys, too – ballroom gloves, Mardi Gras beads, ace bandages (ha!), old board games, and even a wig.  How many grandmas would let you hop on her lap and “drive” home.  I’m guessing that’s illegal, but how could you pull over an innocent grandma and grandkid?  Memaw is another child in God’s hall of fame.  Memaw is quick to share an applicable Scripture, pray for me and follow up on my prayer requests.  She also enjoys using her time to write for Christian magazines and has done plenty of speaking engagements and served in various ministries.  I know she desires to make an impact on others’ lives.



Pepaw
Pepaw is a creator.  I spent countless hours cleaning his workshop, building things together (a dog house for Lucky was one of my favorites), and checking out the progress on his airplanes.  Speaking of airplanes, it’s always fun to go up on a flight with him, and he’d make sure to let me fly for a bit.  We even had a booster seat made of phone books for me to use when I was too short to see out the window.   I was always so excited to run out to the shop and have Pepaw measure me to see how much I’d grown – Wow!  A whole ¼”! When Robert and I got married Pepaw and Dad built us a kitchen table and chairs, and I will always appreciate the time and love that went into that project.  Speaking of our wedding, we even have the special memory of him officiating our ceremony.  Pepaw has built countless other things for me like a Barbie house, tv cabinet, and even an elephant and giraffe for the Homecoming parade.  I will always treasure our time spent in front of the fireplace.  That seems to be a good place to reminisce and hear stories about his childhood.  Pepaw enjoys learning new things which I appreciate about him.  He has dedicated his life to learning more about God and his Word and sharing that information with others through preaching, teaching, and leading Sunday School.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen Pepaw worry, and he is a great reminder that it’ll all work out according to God’s plan.

Wow!  That was fun!  I have wonderful grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...