Friday, September 1, 2017

The End of Summer

Summer 2017 was a great one!  We got to go on an anniversary trip, Robert had a very busy summer with work, we went to Alabama, and Sarah turned two.  Like a lot of you, I'm sad to see that the summer is over, but unlike school aged children or people who are parents of school aged children, I'm sad because it means that I'm about to return to a more slow-paced schedule.  For a lot of people the school year feels rushed and overly packed, but I love that the summer allows our students, several of my friends, and my mom to be more available.  During the summer Robert has a lot of week-long activities, and it's hard to have him gone so much, but I like that he has some activities that Sarah and I can attend like evenings at people's houses and trips to Sonic.  I know that a lot of stay at home moms can't visit their husbands at work, but I'm thankful that Sarah and I can.  I also love that in the summer our students are willing to linger after church and events and can talk and relax and aren't always in a hurry to rush off to do homework.  In the summer it seems like we can see my parents all the time, especially my mom since she's off from school.  It's been sad when Sarah says stuff like, "I want to go outside and wait for Grandma and Grandpa."  I'm very thankful that they live as close to us as they do.

During the summer MOPS and BSF take a break, and they don't start up until September, so I've had about three weeks where the summer is over but my normal school year activities haven't started up, so my days have felt pretty unplanned.

One day this week I took Sarah to the Discovery Center, and we had the place to ourselves!  It was great!  Sarah enjoyed playing for about an hour and a half.  The pretend house area is definitely her favorite.  I will say that one of the best parts about this time of year is that we are finally getting some relief from the heat.  It's been nice to be able to take a stroller ride late morning.  I'm also looking forward to planting grass this weekend so we can hopefully have some grass in our backyard in about a month.  That'll make playing back there more enjoyable.

I feel like the mornings go fairly quickly.  We eat breakfast, take a bath, get ready, go for a walk, and run errands or have a play date.  Obviously lunch and nap time are enjoyable, but then from about 3:00-5:30 it's, "When is daddy coming home?!?!"  What do other SAHM's do in the afternoon?  I don't really like to get out again due to after school and after work traffic, so we usually just pop around from activity to activity every five minutes - Play-Doh, dolls, puzzles, etc.  I know that's a hard time of day for most SAHM's.

Sarah is currently in her bed shouting, "I'm going night night!!!"  I'm not sure she understands that one usually doesn't shout while trying to go to sleep.  Hmm...okay, thanks for reading my little post here.  I hope your school year is off to a good start!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...