Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First day of school

Monday was the first day of the fall semester for Robert and me.  This semester I'll have Seminar in Organizational Communication on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:20-8:00 (August 22-October 12), and then it'll switch to Organizational Change on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:20-8:00 (October 24-December 14).  I'm also taking Corporate Writing and Public Relations on Thursdays from 5:20-8:00 (August 25-December 15).  That's nine hours total.  It's really weird being at home all day and then going to class all evening.  My entire schooling life I've gone to school in the day and studied in the evening.  It's nice and quiet at home since my parents are at work, but it's weird having Mom come home for the day before I've even left for school.  This week has been pretty chill so far.  I know after this week I will not be saying that, so I'm trying to take advantage of the calm before the storm.  My first big-ish assignment for org comm is a critical book review.  We had a list of 19 books from which to choose.  We passed around a sign-up sheet, and I got OurSpace.  It was my fourth choice.  It's supposed to come in the mail tomorrow.  Once it gets here I hope to read it and write my report by September 6.  That'll give me plenty of time to turn in a rough draft and get feedback before it's due September 19.  Tonight we're finding out about our assignment of leading class discussion over one journal article.  That shouldn't be too hard since I've done it in a few classes already.  Then the only other major thing in that class is a research proposal, but the professor really hasn't talked about it at all.  Another 100 points will come from class participation and a few small homework assignments like answering some questions over the night's reading.  It doesn't sound too terrible yet.  I'll let you know how PR goes tomorrow.  I have a feeling it won't sound too overwhelming since I have 15 weeks to finish the class instead of my usual 3 or 6 week classes.  15 weeks will feel like forever!
Robert's first day of his senior year at SBU


My first day of my second semester of grad school at Drury
Already ready for the school year to be over.  Is that bad?
Mom's first full week of school.  Keeping up the first day of school picture tradition.
 Wedding planning is going well.  Mom and I did some shopping last weekend and bought thank you notes from Target ($2 for 10 cards - steal!) and a truckload of items from Hobby Lobby - 2 small vases, a medium vase, tan sand, and brown sand for our sand pouring instead of unity candle; 10 yards of khaki tulle (On sale for $0.77 a yard instead of $0.97), 7 yards of dusty blue tulle (On sale for $0.77 a yard instead of $0.97), 25 yards of shiny ivory tulle (On sale for $0.97 a yard instead of $1.17), a few fabric samples (30%) to give to Aunt Pam for our centerpieces, 9 rolls of ribbon (50% off), and 13 stems of dusty blue silk flowers (50% off = $1 each).  Plus we had two coupons for 40% off a single regular priced item (2 of the vases).  The thriftiness prompted a surge of energy for both of us, trust me.  Mom and I stopped by Norman's to get a swatch of the fabric for my bridesmaids dresses.  While we were there Mom tried on four mother of the bride dresses.  She also tried on a few at David's Bridal.  Former mothers of the bride, where did you find your dress?  How did you find a dress that said, "I'm not trying to look like a 21 year old bridesmaid, but I'm also not a grandma?" 

Yesterday we met with our florist.  While I believe we've chosen the best deal in Bolivar, it's SHOCKING how expensive fresh flowers are.  Thankfully we're only buying bouquets for my five bridesmaids and me.  No fresh flowers anywhere else.

We picked up our invitations yesterday.  They turned out perfectly!  We did them at "Our Other Office."  Talk about a confusing name.  Robert and I designed them, and we decided to go postcard style.  We're hoping that this way people will look at the invite sooner since they won't have to spend time opening it up.  I know opening an envelop doesn't seem like much of a burden, but seriously, how many people have stacks of unopened mail?  Too many!  Also, this will reduce the cost of postage by 50%.  We printed in black and color on one side and just black on the other side.

We also met with our wonderful cake baker and discusses details.  I know Alana will do such a great job!  We're definitely on the same page which is very helpful.

Robert has picked his groomsmen which is very exciting.  We're wanting to guys to wear khaki pants with matching khaki vests.  Mom and I looked over the weekend only to find out khaki is seasonal.  All the stores have random leftover sizes of khaki items on sale now, and they won't have their new khaki items til March.  HELP!  Any ideas?  As you know, I would be totally on edge waiting til two months in advance to even start looking for their outfits.

Did I tell you I already have five ladies who have asked to help host my main shower?  Blessed!
Does anyone have photographer suggestions?  Robert and I are struggling between wanting nice photos but not being able to justify spending a large chunk of money on photos because, let's be real, after a few years of marriage most people only have a couple of nice wedding photos out on display.  What happened to the other 1000 photos they paid $3000?  I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...