Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Jack of all Trades

I think the best way to describe my summer so far would be a blur.  The summer has been packed with classes, boring reading assignments, studying, writing papers, making presentations, babysitting, exercising, and babysitting some more.  Just call me the Jack (or Jane) of all trades.  I have had such a weird perception of time.  At some points it feels as though time is flying by (i.e. I'm about to complete twelve graduate hours in nine weeks!), but at other times it seems like time is standing still (i.e. Will summer school ever end?  It's been going on forever!)  Do you ever have weird perceptions of time?  I feel like I'm the only one.  I'll talk to people about how I'm in an eleven month masters program, and they'll say stuff like, "Oh, that'll just fly by!"  While I'm glad they don't say stuff like, "That'll feel  like forever," it leaves me feeling like a weirdo for thinking time is slowly ticking by.  Whenever I think about it like I've completed 15 years (skipped third grade, graduated college in three years) of formal education and have 1 year to go it feels cool, but when I think about it like I've only been enduring this torture for seven weeks but have about 36 weeks to go it feels like forever.  These four classes have been totally brutal.  I have six classes and my capstone left.  I go between thinking, "That's not bad.  I'm 40% of the way finished," and "I'm only 40% done?  I have to do this six more times?  I'm never going to making it."  I'm probably the only person who thinks about this kind of stuff.  Now you know what's going through my mind.
I was taught quite the lesson in patience this week.  I'm basically the perfect example of type A personality.  Wikipedia describes type A as: ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, impatient, preoccupied with his/her status, time-conscious, and tightly-wound.  Yep, that's me in a nutshell.  I've always been the "work first, play later" type of gal.  Anyway, with these online classes I've been having to wait on the professors and students A TON.  Usually, with a class I try to get everything done ASAP.  The first few days/weeks are intense, but after that I can chill.  Well, with these classes I have only been getting on assignment at a time.  It's totally not the way I roll.  Needless to say, I have absolutely NO control over the situation.  I would never say, "Hey you - professor who is 20 years older than me who has a PhD - do things the way I want which is NOW."  Totally not socially acceptable.  So I've waited.  And guess what!  Everything is turning out okay.  Weird. ;)
Robert comes home in exactly three days!  Take a moment.  Let it soak in.  I've made it 80% of that way.  Only 20% more to wait.  When Robert comes home I'm never letting him leave again.  Just kidding, but he needs to stick around for a few weeks at least.  I've gotten several emails from the team and from Robert.  God is doing great things in SA.
My mom's middle sister (Dana) has been in town this week.  She was here to re-decorate Memaw's sunroom.  It looks beautiful now!  The color theme is yellow, green, red, and white.  Totally not Christmas-y though.  It's super cute!  Dana brought her adorable nine-year-old Corgy, Danny, as well.
I'm watching the Cardinals play  the Mets.  Right now it's 4-4 in the bottom of the 7th.  Let's get it, Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...