Sunday, May 29, 2011

The end of Summer

Bet you didn't know it's the end of summer.  It's time to buy new notebooks, make sure the old backpack will make it through another year, grab so pencils, and put on your thinking cap.  Well, it's time for me to do those things at least.  After seven short days of summer break it's time to start thinking about school again.  I start at Drury in just six days.  It doesn't feel real.  I just graduated from college where I felt totally safe - lots of friends, professors knew me, I knew where are the classrooms were, the hours of the library, how to get around time.  Now it's time for this next step - a place where I don't even know the name of the street it's on (Drury Lane, seriously?), where the library is, I don't have an ID card (been in three times.  I'm not in "the system."), I'll be a part of a cohort of nine other students who just so happen to be Drury alums who will know everything about Drury and will definitely be in "the system."  What do I wear on the first day - do I go for the typical first day of school look (jeans, nice top, dressy sandals), the "I go to grad school" look (khakis and a dress shirt with dress shoes), or the "It's summertime, baby" look (shorts and a t-shirt)?  Do I take my laptop?  Is the professor going to present everything at lightning speed?  Is my first day of class seriously going to last the whole time (9:00am-6:00pm)?  I could easily list a dozen more hypothetical questions right now.
When people ask what I'm doing next and I tell them I'm going to grad school at Drury they've all seem totally taken aback.  Apparently it's crazy to start a graduate degree two weeks after you finish your undergrad (maybe so).  Or perhaps it's the fact that I'm too young (yeah, I'm only 20).  Or that the program is packed into a year (but it's still four terms.  It's not like I'm fitting two years' worth of stuff into two semesters).  Plus, I figure it'll be easier since I'm already in full-time school mode.  It won't be weird to be in class and study each day.  I think it would be more difficult to graduate SBU, take a few years off, get used to working 8:00-5:00, get used to having a steady income, and then go back to full-time school, only make money from a part-time job, and be lectured all day.
At this point I just need the first day to get here already.  At this time next week I'll know the answers to all these questions.  Until then...

1 comment:

  1. Yep, you'll know the answers to your questions in less than one week. I think you're doing the right thing, Amy. God will give you the strength to do anything that He is wanting you to do.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...