Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Freshman Year

I was looking through old documents on my computer this afternoon.  My freshman year of college I kept a journal of sorts in a Word document.  Since I'm in a rather reflective state, having just finished my last undergrad final, I decided I should post it here:


September 29, 2008
Recap of college thus far:
I was in the bathroom naked about to get in the shower. Suitemate randomly walked in.
Went next door to say hi to friend.  She was lying in bed with her boyfriend.  I asked how her day was and then left the room awkwardly.
My roommate makes her bed each night an hour before she goes to sleep.  Why?
It’s my job to sweep and clean the mirror in the bedroom and bathroom.  It’s my roommate's job to vacuum our rug.  She’s only done it once in the 5 and a half weeks we’ve been here.  Her hairballs are all over the floor.  A few have gotten stuck to my pants when I’ve sat down.  One of my suitemates cleans the toilet and sink fairly often.  However, I think the other suitemate has only cleaned the shower once.  It’s gross.
My Welcome Week group was a bit of a dud.  Most everyone is either a music major or a science major.  I’m the only undeclared.  I really like one of my leaders though, Kaylan.
I got my tragus pierced on Friday, September 12.  Tiffani went with me.  It really hurt.  It bled quite a bit.  Two weeks later it felt fine.  I’m excited to take it out for the first time.  I wonder how big the hole will really be. 
I’ve gone to body sculpting, killer abs, pilates, and box step.  I hope to continue doing that.  It’s a really good workout.
Jim left for Ireland.  I’m going with Mom and Dad December 19-January 1 to visit him.  I’m really excited.  We’re going to Ireland and England.
Lindsay’s shoes smell really bad.
I went to Arkansas with Kelsey and Jen to see Keegan, Elise, and Leigha.  It was very good.
I made it through my first round of tests just fine.
I think I want to get a BA in English.  I’m not sure though.  I hope I’m not choosing that as an easy way out.
I got to walk with Casey today.  I love talking to her.  She’s an excellent listener.
I miss my KLife small group.
It’s been really hard to make any genuine friends.  I don’t feel like it’s worth the effort.  I just want my real friends back.  Why did they leave me?
Janna got hired as the official secretary.  I think I like working with her.
Heather hates me.  It makes it really awkward to be her lab partner.
I got in trouble for spreading rumors and gossiping about staph infection.  It was dumb.
I’m helping with FBC middle school Connect on Wednesday nights.  
I’m also helping with middle school KLife on Thursday nights.  I go to the leaders’ meetings on Sunday nights.  It’s been good for me.  We’re reading through the gospels.
It’s really loud in the dorm at night until midnight.  I need to be getting more sleep than I am.
I’ve joined a Bible study on Wednesday nights.  3 junior girls and I meet at the Evans’ house with Ron, Suzie, and Rachel.  I’m starting to feel more comfortable.
I really want to go to Pennsylvania and see everybody.  I’ve been missing them a lot today.  I absolutely love the atmosphere there; the weather, the people, and the food.
I might get to go to El Salvador for three weeks in January.  I’m totally ecstatic.  I’ll be heartbroken if it doesn’t work out.
I wish I lived at home.

October 21, 2008
Lindsay is moving to Leslie.  I’m glad, but kinda feel like I’m defective.
I dissected a pig.
I’m always tired.
I hate headaches.
I miss my homies.
Leigha, Tyler, and Keegan are coming home tomorrow night!!!!
I took my parents for granted.
I appreciate Memaw and Pepaw caring for me more now.
We aren’t taking a trip to El Salvador.
Every day feels the same.
I absolutely despise getting wet, but I love listening to thunderstorms.
I miss living at home.  Never thought I would.
I might as well live in Leslie because it already feels like there is a wall in the middle of my dorm room.
Will every semester feel like this?  I certainly hope not.
I have a B in biology.  

November 11, 2008
I’ve learned even more that I can’t love someone without God’s help.  
I wonder what next semester will bring.
I am absolutely sick of people seeing me and asking how Jim is.  It’s like my life is nonexistent.
My idea of a friend has to change and must continue to evolve.
I’m thankful for Leslie.  She’s definitely helped me through these past few months.
I’m starting to feel more and more like my girls don’t have time for me.
I’m not shaving or cutting my fingernails this month.
Only 8 more days of class until Thanksgiving break.  Praise Jesus!
I went to the first Friday art walk with Jen, Rachel Evans, and Kelsey on Friday.  Then we spent the night in Kelsey’s dorm room in Woods at MSU.
I’m getting kind of sick of work.  I must stick it out!
I think my body has adjusted to not getting as much sleep.  It’s hard for me to sleep for 10 hours now.

November 30, 2008
Remember that one time during Sunday School that Dad talked about my friends and I tracing ourselves with chalk on Highway D at midnight during Thanksgiving break and then Daniel came up and asked about my “drunken midnight activities”?  Yep.  That’s my life.
Thanksgiving break was really good other than the fact that a friend was being insanely obnoxious.  Let’s see he said I look like a boy, couldn’t believe my favorite new kind of art I’ve learned about in class is rococo, said SBU’s classes are a joke, got mad about girl time, and said I ruined our game of sardines.  Yeah, he sure knows how to make me feel good about myself.  Other than that, it really was good.  The girls spent the night over here, we went to Black Friday at Wal-Mart, Silver Dollar City, and lots of hanging out was done.  I miss that so much!  It’s hard not to do anything fun at college.  But I don’t want to replace my friends from Bolivar because that is impossible.  Nobody compares.  I hate hearing about everyone else’s new friends.
It’s snowing today!  I love it.  Although, snow has lost a bit of its magic since it no longer means that school gets cancelled.
I’m gonna try and stay strong for the last 15 days of the semester.  I can and I will do it!  Only 11 more days of class and then 4 days of finals.  It’s nice to have Ireland to look forward to.
I think I’ll find out tomorrow what my rooming situation will be for next semester.  It would be the biggest blessing to get a room to myself.  You have no idea.  I really think that would change everything.  I’m still I bit scared to not have Tiffani next semester.

March 9, 2009
I sure haven’t written on here in a long time.
Fall semester ended ok.  I ended up with a B in biology and fine arts which was kinda frustrating.
I took intro to computing during Jan Term.  It was pretty boring but I’m glad I took it.
Spring semester has gotten off to a good start.  I got a new roommate.  Her name is Pearl Karamitros.  She doesn’t snore, doesn’t make her bed, takes showers, and studies.  It’s wonderful!
My suitemate, Michelle, doesn’t have a roommate this semester because Kat decided to move off campus at the last second.
Classes are pretty good.  I’m only taking 15 hours compared to last semester’s 16 hours.  However, I find myself studying more.  New Testament with Dr. Frost has been difficult so far.  I got 70% on my first test even though I studied for it for about five hours.  I really hope my other tests go better.  I have human diversity with Mrs. Gamble.  It’s a relatively easy class although I got a high C on the first test.  I think it’s a little more difficult than I make it out to be.  Critical Thinking with Mr. Bachman is really boring.  Thankfully, it will be over in 3 more class periods.  I’m looking forward to having 2 hours less class time and less homework.  The Victorian Period with Dr. Tappmeyer is definitely my least favorite class.  There are only ten people in it.  We read really boring, old literature and then have to write opinion papers over it that are source supported.  Interpersonal Communication with Dr. Derryberry is one of my favorite classes.  I don’t like giving speeches and I usually miss a few points on them but he builds my confidence.  I enjoy Advanced Composition with Dr. Tappmeyer for the most part.  I like getting to write and not having tests.
I switched to working in central receiving at the physical plant.  I get a good amount of homework done.  I just don’t know if Robert thinks I do a good job or not.
It’s difficult to wake up for my 8:00 class on Tuesday and Thursday.  I haven’t been getting as much sleep this semester.
Ashton Jones stayed in my room for Bearcat Days.  Savannah Stepp, Ethan Dixon, Daniel Norman, and she are thinking about coming to SBU next fall.  
I led 8th grade girls DNow with Leigha at FBC this weekend.  I was nervous at first.  We only had 3 students so I thought discussion might be lacking, but it was wonderful!  We stayed at Lou and Shelly Harris’ house.
I’m going to El Salvador in less than two weeks for spring break.  Tarah, Kelsey, Luke, Charli, Brett, Larry, Bing, and Sherrie Bayer are coming too.  We will be speaking at a college and then doing church stuff in Santa Elena and then San Salvador.  I was hoping to see Milton and Jose, but I don’t think it will be happening.
Kelsey and I went to MNU in Olathe, KS to visit Jen.  It was marvelous!
Kelsey and I also went to OBU in Arkadelphia, AR to visit Leigha.  We got to go over to the Sonheims’ house.
I’ve only stayed at home for one weekend so far.  I really need to break away from my parents.  I just don’t know how to.
I can’t believe this semester is almost half way over.  In a little over two months I will have finished my first year of college and will only have two more years left.
I applied to be an RA at Leslie or Woody.  I asked my RA, Lauren, to fill out a reference form for me.  She said she’ll have to skip some questions because she doesn’t think I’m mature or growing spiritually!!!
Elise is dating a boy named Andrew.  It’s weird.  
Luke still feels the need to point out the fact that he has more “friends” than I do.  Why?
I’m ready for warm weather to be here for good.  Too bad Dr. Frost won’t let me wear shorts on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday.
I hate eating at the cafeteria.
Jim will be home in about one month.  
I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing this summer.  Possibilities: Spend a month in PA by myself (Mom and Dad would be there for about one week of it), take Fitness and Wellness with Kelsey and Grant at SBU summer school, go on a road trip with friends to Georgia, work in Dad’s office, work in central receiving, sleep!


I think it's safe to say I've changed quite a bit over the past three years. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...